From a Parent's Point of View
CONTACT INFORMATION IS IMPORTANT
▪ Make sure your student has provided you with several different contact methods, including ResearchWild! personnel in the U.S. and on-site, your student’s home and cell phone numbers, and an e-mail address.
▪ Having a local phone contact is vital in case of an emergency. For that reason ResearchWild! requires that our students secure a locally serviced phone number and ensure that they carry their properly charged phone at all times. Relying on Wi-Fi spots for communication is not dependable and will not ensure that ResearchWild! staff can reach students in the case of an emergency.
▪ Encourage your student to provide ResearchWild! with your contact information as well.
▪ Many countries have hundreds of years of culture that may affect how men and other women treat your student.
▪ Encourage your student to leave immediately if they find themselves in a dangerous situation.
COMMUNICATING ABOUT HEALTH AND SAFETY
▪ Discuss with your student any travel plans and activities that may be independent of the study abroad program.
▪ Engage your student in a thorough discussion of safety and behavior issues, insurance needs, and emergency procedures related to living abroad.
▪ Be responsive to requests from ResearchWild! for information regarding your student.
▪ Keep in touch with your student.
▪ Contact us about any questions you have regarding ResearchWild! insurance, safety measures, and other issues.
▪ Be aware that your student, rather than someone from ResearchWild!, may be the most appropriate person to provide you with certain information.
KNOW YOUR STUDENT’S PROGRAM
▪ Be informed and involved in your student’s decision to enroll in a particular program.
▪ Obtain and carefully evaluate ResearchWild! or Tarleton State University's program materials, as well as related health, safety and security measures.
▪ Have ResearchWild! contact information easily accessible in case of emergency. ResearchWild! has 24-hour contact information available by calling the main number 254-431-9200.
▪ Keep informed about what is happening in your student’s country.
▪ Check out the State Department website for specific information pertaining to an individual country and general information about travel and safety.
▪ Read the foreign press. Many foreign press websites now host an English- language version.
▪ Have a valid passport.
▪ Make sure you have a copy of your student’s passport.
▪ Purchase flexible tickets for your student.
▪ Have your student leave a flight itinerary with you.
▪ Remember that your student is responsible for his/her own safety and well being.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact at 254-431-9200.
researchwild.com | 254-431-9200